Saturday, January 22, 2011

First time vegan baking


I wanted to try vegan baking. Apart from the obvious healthier benefits from vegan baking (less saturated fat from the eggs and butter), I'm always conscious of my use of eggs in baking. I don't use them or like using them in anything else. I'm reading a book called 'Eating Animals'-http://www.eatinganimals.com/ , that has really opened up my eyes to the factory farming industry out there that I had always thought about. Every time I read it I'm thinking, go vegan go vegan. Maybe someday. I know one girl who read it and she turned vegetarian. If you are vegetarian or vegan allready, I recommend you read it! It's extremely interesting. Although most of the content in the book is based on US animal and agriculture standards. As far as I'm aware, EU laws are a lot more strict in the raising of animals in factory farms. I've been trying to find out some information on standards on certain EU websites but not to much luck, or just lengthy reports of small writing.



Anyway, I took a bit of inspiration from Glauce- (http://foodinmylife.blogspot.com) and decided to make cupcakes. I found a recipe for vegan cupcakes that was extremely easy.
I thought it was going to be very complicated and involve me having to buy vegan butter and egg replacer. But it was far from it. While researching I discovered that the stork block is vegan and the stork in the tub isn't, it has buttermilk in it.
All it involved with water,oil,vanilla extract, vinegar and caster sugar in a bowl. And then adding flour and cocoa powder to that. All ingredients I all ready had in my kitchen. They however, weren't fully vegan. The icing I made contained normal butter. I didn't have any vegan butter. So that kind of ruined it a little bit.
The cakes themselves turned out lovely and moist though. I am going to make them this way from now on. A lot easier, cheaper and healthier option :)



3 comments:

All about... (vegan) food said...

I really want to read this book. Going vegan is important for many reasons and I'm glad you thinking about everything you've been reading :)

Thanks for the mention and your cupcakes look delicious. To do the frosting I use Pure, it's easy to find it in regular supermarkets.

Velovegan said...

I'm half way through reading this book! Really good so far. I was having trouble locating it in Dublin, but there's a bookshop in Rathmines, up from the Swan Centre that has lots of copies, if you're interested Glauce :)

cara lou said...

I just found your blog while looking for vegetarian recipes. I have been researching the food industry and factory farming for a year or so now, and just finished Eating Animals. And...now I'm vegetarian.

I, too, really feel like I should go vegan, but I figure I'll start with baby steps. At least I know my milk and eggs are coming from small farms that do things the right way.

Cheers!