Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Summer Cakes-Chocolate and raspberry Victoria sponge.


There are raspberry growing down the end of my garden that have been there since I remember. This year they really flourished and have started to ripen. A good bunch are still to follow. My idea of a summer cake involves lots of fruit, a Victoria sponge wedge with cream and fruit. Although this summer is looking to be another wash out, it's still nice to bake!

So yesterday evening I went down and picked a bunch of the ready ones. It's so great picking your own fruit. These I guess are considered organic also with hardly any human interruption.
I decided to make a chocolate Victoria sponge wedged together with sweetened cream and my garden grown raspberries and the same on top. To make the sweet cream I used:
  • 250ml double cream
  • The scrapping of one vanilla pod
  • About a handful of icing sugar
I just beated the cream with the vanilla with an electric beater and gradually added the icing sugar in until it was just thick enough to not drop off the spoon. The vanilla speckles the cream,which is lovely. I have never been a fan of cream but I love this! I think I'm going to make icing for cupcakes this way. A lot less sweeter than butter icing.
I pipped the cream on top for decoration affect and just spread it out in between the cakes.

I used this recipe to make my sponges but added chocolate drinking powder and some cocoa. I find cocoa dries cakes out a lot so I add lots of milk to moisten it up. I swear by this.


YUM!

No comments: