Sunday, September 30, 2012

Vegan Muffins on Rachel Allen's Cake Diarys

A vegan baking recipe made it onto an Irish cooking show! I was pretty surprised when Rachel Allen, Baking extraordinaire featured a vegan recipe on her RTE Cake Diarys show. I was told by a few people about this being on so I watched it and got the recipe on line. I recommend the recipe a lot. The muffins were really easy to make and came out great.
                                 

The recipe called for raspberries. I used a mixture of the few remaining raspberries growing in my garden along with some blackberries I picked in the park behind my house. So resourceful and cheap!

Vegan Raspberry Muffins Recipe

The Ingredients

  • 225 g (8oz) plain flour
  • 3 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • 1⁄4 tsp salt
  • 75 g (3oz) caster sugar
  • Finely grated zest of 1 orange
  • 150 g (5oz) fresh (or frozen and defrosted) raspberries
  • 225 ml (8fl oz) soya or rice milk
  • 50 ml (2fl oz) sunflower oil
  • 1 tblsp cider vinegar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 12-cup muffin tray and 10 muffin cases
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4), and line the muffin tray with the paper cases.

2. Sift the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt into a large bowl, then mix in the sugar and orange zest. Carefully fold in the raspberries and set aside.

3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients, then add these to the flour mixture, folding in to combine. Divide the batter between the muffin cases, filling each three-quarters full, then bake for 15–20 minutes or until golden on top and springy to the touch.

4. Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tray for 5 minutes, then take the muffins out of the tray and place on a wire rack to cool down completely.
If anyone has any other great muffin recipes, pass them on to me! I want to try make really big ones and ones to have for college breakfasts. 

1 comment:

Senka I said...
This comment has been removed by the author.